What is Eye Allergy:
The eyes are the windows to the soul because they reflect our state of mind. This certainly can’t be true if our eyes are red, swollen, watery, and itchy from an allergic reaction. If your eyes itch and are red, tearing or burning, you may have eye allergies (allergic conjunctivitis), a condition that affects millions of peoples. Many people will treat their nasal allergy symptoms but ignore their itchy, red, watery eyes.
Eye allergies, called allergic conjunctivitis, are a common condition that occurs when the eyes react to something that irritates them (called an allergen).
Eye Allergy Symptoms:
* Clear, watery discharge
Eye Allergy Causes:
The causes of eye allergies are similar to those of allergic asthma and hay fever. Medications and cosmetics can play a significant role in causing eye allergies. Reactions to eye irritants and other eye conditions (for example, infections such as pink eye) are often confused with eye allergy.
Eye Allergy Treatment:
A doctor’s consultation about the controlling of allergy is preferred, if by chance the doctor is not available for that moment, the home remedies can be tried for better relief.
* Water wash is the best preventive to reduce itchiness and irritation of eyes affected by allergy. Rinse off your eyes by cold water as maximum time you can do but never pat dry harshly. Use soft tissue paper to wipe off water from the eyes.
* Rose water is good preventive of eye allergy. Pour 2-3 drops of rose water in the allergy affected eyes and keep shut the eyelids at lest for 5-10 minutes to allow the rose water to be inside the eye and to work on its infection.
* Due to infection, eyes become red and it feels hot inside. Splashing affected eye frequently with plain cold water helps in reducing the pain and discomfort of allergy.
* Once the eye allergy occurs in any of the eyes it develops a general tendency to recur on and on within a short interval. Consumption of Indian gooseberry juice with natural honey develops internal resistance for allergy problem and it works after 2 weeks sincere continuation of the medicine.
* Add 3 teaspoon salt in 1 glass of water and boil the water for 20 minutes. Let the water be cool, when it will be cold enough, pat the salt water with clean cotton in the corner of the affected eye, it will clear the sticky discharge as well as the dust particles inside the eye and will surely provide relief from discomfort and itching caused by eye allergy.
* Stay indoors as much as possible when pollen counts are at their peak, usually during the mid morning and early evening, and when wind is blowing pollens around.
* Wear glasses or sunglasses when outdoors to minimize the amount of pollen getting into your eyes.
* Try not to rub your eyes, which will irritate them and could make your condition worse.
* Keep windows closed, and use air conditioning in your car and home. Air conditioning units should be kept clean.
* Clean floors with a damp rag or mop, rather than dry-dusting or sweeping.